Monday, August 1, 2011

Cowboys & Aliens

Cowboys and Aliens opened this weekend to somewhat disappointing box office, at least as far as I'm concerned - I personally thought it was great. Strong character work and acting, great dialog and lots of fun. Jon Favreau keeps pulling it off, and if anyone could have made a stronger film given the basic premise promised by the title, I don't know who. Let's face it, it could have been the summer's biggest joke. Instead, the material was taken seriously and treated lovingly, and we got a fine film I'm proud to have contributed to. So congratulations to Jon, writers Alex Kurtzman & Bob Orci and Production Designer Scott Chambliss for a great movie!

Anyway, I'll be posting some of my concept work for the alien "speeder" vehicle in the coming days. For now, here's the image that I was told caught Spielberg's eye and led to the speeder design as we see it in the film.

9 comments:

Humza Khan said...

As far as box office grosses go, a lot of that comes simply to timing and marketing. There are a lot of films that don't do well at the box office but then sell really well on dvd or even become iconic later on

chibiaion said...

Got me a reminder to check that one out. Pretty interesting specially that mecha "speeder" vehicle. :D buy aion account

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Piyush said...

There are a lot of films that don't do well at the box office but then sell really well on dvd or even become iconic later on...


http://www.quantity-takeoff.com/

partha giri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Manoj Singh said...

Very beautiful work. I like your style!!!

Load Junction, load matching Services, Find Truck Loads, Find Freight and Trucks

Rolf said...

Didn't know you worked on this too :)
Was just looking at this concept with some co-workers - we all liked a lot, can see why it caught Spielberg's eye!

Unknown said...

I was delighted to find this web site. I wanted to thank you for your time reading this wonderful! I really enjoyed every bit of it and I've marked to ensure that the blog post something new.
Advertising agencies in London